Atlanta, GA/San Ramon, CA
Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for an analytical and technically minded individual with proven engineering and communication skills. The CAT E&A team is an innovative and versatile technical team conducting location level catastrophe risk evaluations, developing independent catastrophe risk solutions and models, and providing quantitative metrics based on state-of-art science and engineering that inform risk management and underwriting decisions. Job Location: San Francisco Bay Area (San Ramon).
The successful candidate will contribute to our efforts to develop globally applicable catastrophe risk modeling methodologies and tools to facilitate account risk evaluation and underwriting decision-making. Specific expertise related to software development in C++ and Python is required. The successful candidate will be able to understand and contribute to our existing software development projects, and at the same time help to develop solutions to the technical challenges that we will encounter in the future.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Quickly understand and be able to edit existing C++ and Python code.
- Contribute to increasing the computational efficiency of our existing models, by introducing or increasing multi-threading and/or GPU capabilities.
- Work with the team as a whole to help develop our technical platform to be more user-friendly and seamless, with an emphasis on bringing the various individual models together in a more uniform framework.
- Understand and assist with the development of AI and machine learning related projects that are underway.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field, or Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in civil engineering with an emphasis on software development.
- Minimum of 3 years development experience with C++, preferably in Visual Studio environment.
- Minimum of 3 years development experience with Python.
- Experience with API development.
- Experience working with SQL databases.
- Experience developing software in R and/or MATLAB preferred.
- Experience developing software for GPUs preferred.
- Knowledge of ArcGIS (or equivalent) preferred.
- Experience working with geodatabases preferred.
- Background in probabilistic theory/concepts preferred.
- Education or experience related to structural engineering preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Skilled in critical thinking and analysis.
- Highly motivated and detail oriented.
- Ability to work in a strong integrated team environment.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates.
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
The base salary range for this position is from $90,000 to $110,000, along with annual bonus eligibility; a candidate’s salary is determined by their relevant skills and experience. We value our teammates – both their capabilities and character – as demonstrated by our amazing culture.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.