Boston, MA/Stevens Point, WI
Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty, and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty, and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for an Infrastructure Platform DevOps Engineer, responsible for the daily administration of on and off-premises datacenter environments, automation, and deployment pipelines. This position will require a strong background in PaaS and IaaS automation, Application, and Infrastructure deployment pipelines, code source management tools, Terraform and ARM templates, PowerShell, Python, and other programming languages. May manage several projects simultaneously. The individual in this role will also be responsible for helping build out our growing DevOps Team.
Reporting to this Position:
No direct reports at this time, however, the individual in this role is expected to act as a team lead, coordinating and managing work, providing technical expertise, mentoring junior staff members, and being the point of contact for escalations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participate fully in the vision, build, configuration, and documentation of Platform Engineering. Lend guidance to defining DevOps code standards for development groups to follow.
- Execute technical direction ensuring stability, reliability, and integration.
- Design, configure, deploy, and maintain cloud platform services and software. Work collaboratively with development architects and Infrastructure alike.
- Quickly identify problems or bottlenecks in existing workflows and seek solutions, efficiencies, and improvements to ensure repeatable successes.
- Create and maintain architecture and support documentation for the Infrastructure and Application teams. Work seamlessly with teammates in Infrastructure, Security, Development groups, Business process leads, Systems stakeholders, and Support to ensure a cohesive environment. Be able to communicate on all levels effectively, both written and verbally.
- Provide Tier 3 escalation support for DevOps Application and Infrastructure Production Support teams. Equip teammates with the knowledge to provide Tiers 1 & 2 support.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- Considered to have expert-level skills in several of these technologies: Microsoft Windows Server, Microsoft Azure platform services, Windows & Azure Active Directory, Windows IIS, RHEL, Ubuntu, and Kubernetes.
- Familiarity with and previous production support of Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL Server as well as Azure DBaaS.
- Significant experience designing, deploying, managing, and supporting cloud infrastructure and services, preferably Azure.
- Significant scripting experience using Python, Bash/shell, PowerShell, and other scripting languages.
- Significant experience with automation and configuration management tools, preferably Terraform.
- Maintain consumable, re-usable code libraries, templates, and reference code in order to provide a consistent, repeatable integration point for other developers. Code standards and security-focused approaches are a must.
- Actively drive decisions that involve multiple technologies knowing who and how to pull in others for consensus.
- Initiate and lead highly complicated work, setting the direction for what they and others do to accomplish a project. Able to quickly assess and apply priority to work to meet timelines.
- Ability to work as part of a global team, coach others, provide direction to team members, and assist with escalations.
- Strong oral and written communication. Ability to convert ideas into practical applications. Effective time management and prioritization skills.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates.
- A dynamic, action-oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates, and our other stakeholders.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Members may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.