Atlanta, GA/Houston, TX/Chicago, IL/Plymouth Meeting, PA
Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Underwriter for Commercial Surety. Position will be responsible for regional commercial surety business and ideally positioned in our Houston, Chicago, Atlanta, or Plymouth Meeting offices, but other locations will be considered.
The Senior Underwriter will be responsible for the underwriting of accounts including: pre-qualifying new business, analyzing credit quality, and utilizing underwriting expertise to make sound decisions regarding terms, conditions, and pricing. This position will be a market-facing representative responsible for the development and growth of the Commercial Surety line of business within the region. Senior Underwriter will also be responsible for identifying and developing broker and customer relationships.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Underwriting of commercial surety book
- Credit analyses of new business and monitoring of existing book
- Develop and build the commercial surety book
- Establish and develop broker and customer relationships
- RFP, Contract, & Bond Form Review for large, sophisticated projects that full in the non-contract commercial surety space
- Develop marketing plans
- Ability to travel within territory
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years’ underwriting experience within commercial surety space (5-12 years’ experience preferred)
- Credit Assessment skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Ability to work within a Team Environment
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Experience managing and collaborating with retail brokers
- BS/BA Degree or equivalent experience
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP