Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character. We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for an Actuarial Assistant to join our North American Executive and Professional Lines Division and Global Actuarial Team in our Atlanta office. We are looking for an individual who has both an ability to excel and an excellence of character. Our culture is creative and fast paced, and this position will be the perfect fit for an individual who is intellectually curious, self-motivated and a collaborative team member. The assistant will work closely with many stakeholders throughout the Division and will need to be very personable. This is an in-office role in line with our principles of collaboration and in order to expedite training of the successful candidate.
This entry-level role will engage in a variety of projects, with an emphasis on our commercial segment, encompassing public, private, and non-profit companies. This role presents a great opportunity to become familiar with the pricing of Directors and Officers Insurance, as well as other products. The Actuarial Assistant will support pricing, profitability studies, and a variety of internal reporting requirements, in addition to assisting in pricing tool maintenance.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop, implement and maintain quantitative diagnostic tools to be used by underwriters in pricing individual risks and managing a portfolio of business.
- Collaborate effectively with the actuarial data and analytics team to enhance processes and maintain a high standard of data integrity.
- Provide insights into the company’s business using the combination of tools needed to best complete each task (e.g., SQL queries, Excel).
- Provide technical support, as needed, to underwriters.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent training in computer science, actuarial science, mathematics, economics, statistics or related field.
- Actively pursuing the Actuarial designation with the Casualty Actuarial Society, with proven success in at least one exam.
- 0-2+ years of experience.
- Intermediate Excel skills.
- Some familiarity with Excel VBA strongly preferred.
- Some familiarity with SQL, R, Python or similar language is preferred.
- Solid verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment as well as independently.
- Strong desire to learn from and share knowledge with teammates.
- Effective time management, with the ability to juggle multiple projects at the same time.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented.
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.