Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for a Software Architect who possesses extensive technical and delivery skill. The role will aid in defining the future of our technical architecture and be integral to the solutioning and design for critical automation efforts.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Evaluating, identifying and developing software solutions
- Provide feedback, coaching, mentoring for globally distributed engineers
- Make sustainable technical and architectural decisions for your team(s) and products while ensuring high levels of quality
- Evaluate and select appropriate software, tools and integration methods
- Collaborate with Product Management and Engineering Leadership on the product roadmap while owning the technical portion of it
- Navigate the ambiguity that is iterative product development
- Actively seek ways to improve business software processes and interactions
- Design Microservices that communicate via well defined API’s
- Comfort working with globally distributed resources
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Experience in a distributed and/or asynchronous platforms such as RabbitMQ, Kafka, or Azure Service Bus
- Demonstrated track record of successfully managing and shipping cloud-based products to market as well as continued maintenance and support
- Architectural knowledge in building and scaling microservice based applications
- Hands-on experience building applications in Azure, AWS, or GCP
- Diverse technical background with desire and ability to be hands on throughout the project lifecycle
- Practical application of industry best practices and standards (REST, DDD, Microservices, OpenAPI)
- Experience applying software design patterns to solve real world problems
- Strong knowledge of datastores (RDBMS, NoSQL) and ability to make choices among available technologies based on requirements
- Understanding of the Property & Casualty Insurance industry is desirable
- Ability to prioritize and handle work to critical project timelines in a dynamic environment and develop new approaches to complex design problems
- Experience developing internal frameworks and libraries using C#, Java, or C++
- Experience using NoSQL databases such as Elastic, Couchbase or Cosmos DB
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP