Boston, MA/Stevens Point, WI
Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character. A great example of a best-in-class solution is BHSI’s Catastrophe Engineering and Analytics team (CAT E&A), which this architect position will support.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty, and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity to establish its first Enterprise Solutions Architect role directly supporting our CAT E&A teams. The role will educate, plan, engineer, and help build a cloud first supporting this mission critical suite of applications. This role will work with business and technology teams to align on strategy, prioritize work, and design integrated solutions for BHSI’s proprietary state-of-the-art CAT E&A technology stack. The desired candidate will have an established track record of architecting high-quality enterprise solutions, be results-driven and bring strong architecture/engineering skills. This role is unique within BHSI being the first time we are committing enterprise-level application architecture expertise to transform our capabilities. The role has the opportunity to expand support and knowledge share with other global functional units like Actuarial. Candidates for this position should be willing to work out of either our Boston, MA or Stevens Point, WI office locations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Establish a true architecture discipline for this critical business function.
- Develop an understanding of our existing Catastrophe Modeling application inventory and develop a roadmap to transform disparate applications into an integrated portfolio leveraging leading edge cloud architectures.
- Drive education of the broader team on core concepts around cloud computing, big data cloud platforms and architecture frameworks.
- Facilitate assessment of business requirements in relation to the overall goals while establishing target state architectures and designs.
- Assist the Catastrophe Modeling team develop a technology feature/product roadmap.
- Partner with other Enterprise Architects to develop a unified direction on how to leverage existing tools, data stores, and frameworks and establish reusable capabilities.
- Partner with offshore architects and developers to influence how they work.
- Drive quantifiable efficiencies through automated testing, and work with teams to transition to true dev/ops model.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- 15+ years of overall technology experience in strategy, architecture, engineering, configuring and implementing software solutions and services.
- Experience of having architected high data volume applications / solutions.
- Demonstrate a deep understanding of modern technologies including Software and Data Engineering Capability Development and Cloud Engineering Standards and Practices.
- Experience migrating legacy solutions to cloud solutions along with pros/cons of various approaches.
- Successful record as Senior Leader with experience in transforming an organization’s application and software architecture discipline, preferably with global/virtual team experience.
- Demonstrated ability to lead in a highly matrixed organization through a combination of influence, partnership, and authority.
- Senior level experience leading, coaching, mentoring, and developing people and teams.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates.
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates, and our other stakeholders.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.