Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty, and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty, and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company has an exciting opportunity for a Casualty Underwriter with our team in Houston.
We are seeking an individual who is hard-working, intelligent, and passionate and who is always striving toward excellence. Candidate must be able to learn new products and have the ability to work both independently and to collaborate with all levels and all disciplines.
This position is a great fit for an Underwriter newer in their career or a 1-5 year experienced Underwriter looking to expand their responsibilities and underwriting knowledge to the next level with an experienced and well-regarded underwriting unit within a top-notch insurance company.
Day-to-day responsibilities include expanding and developing new business opportunities through production and marketing calls with brokers and clients, marketing to distribution channels, prequalifying new business, and utilizing underwriting acumen to select sound casualty risks & form opinions of risks. Additional responsibilities include:
- Develop and grow the Casualty book of business which includes primary, umbrella, and excess liability for various classes.
- Establish, develop, and expand broker and customer relationships in the Midwest/Central Region.
- Work closely with loss control, claims, and legal teams to evaluate risk and provide solutions to customers.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task, and make quick decisions while maintaining underwriting integrity.
- Maintain a profitable renewal book.
- Travel up to 15% of the time.
- 1-5 Years of Casualty underwriting experience.
- Strong underwriting acumen.
- Ability to work within a fast-paced, customer-focused & team environment.
- Strong communication skills including advanced negotiation, communications, and presentation experience.
- BS/BA Degree or equivalent experience.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities with a growing global organization.
- A liberating, fast-paced culture, centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates, and our business.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity, encourages innovation and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Members may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.