Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty, and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for a Wholesale Property Underwriting Manager located in Atlanta, GA. Responsibilities include but are not limited to broker management within the Wholesale Distribution Platform, managing a team based in Atlanta combined with ongoing management and oversight in the P&L. This individual will also be involved in developing new business opportunities through strategic production & marketing calls with brokers and customers. BHSI is always looking to expand in any segment or product offering where we can yield an appropriate underwriting profit. This individual will be heavily involved in future strategies to target specific areas of the E&S business where no or a limited presence currently exists as we continue to grow the business in a thoughtful manner.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Contribute to further development of the Wholesale Property E&S book of business which includes primary and excess layers
- Establish, develop, and expand broker and customer relationships
- Identify and prequalify new business
- Work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task, and make timely decisions while maintaining underwriting integrity
- Underwrite Fire and CAT exposures
- Manage a team in Atlanta while handling a book of business
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- 8+ years property underwriting experience
- Strong existing broker relationships with a concentration on the wholesale distribution community
- Strong underwriting acumen
- Experience with, and strong understanding of policy forms, including broker manuscripts
- Proven customer relationship experience
- Strong understanding of CAT peril modelling/pricing
- Strong collaboration and team building skills
- Willingness for potential travel that might be warranted
- Strong communication skills including negotiation and presentation experience
- Willingness to challenge the status quo in a healthy collaborative way
- Ability to attract, retain, train, and mentor a local team in Atlanta
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates, and our other stakeholders
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.