Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty, and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty, and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Learn more about our unique culture and history.
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for an Underwriting Technician (UT) who will work within and support the underwriting team and perform tasks to directly support the underwriting process including pre-quote, pre-bind, bind, and post-bind transactions. The UT will also perform additional underwriting support activities associated with information gathering and rating for new business, renewals, and midterm changes. Additionally, the UT will assist with electronic file preparation on behalf of the Underwriter.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support underwriters with all activities related to account development.
- Build files and ensure file integrity.
- Coordinate policy issuance and liaise with the Operations team.
- Triage broker submissions and ensure all required underwriting data is accurate.
- Draft quotes and binders and review with underwriters.
- Correspond with brokers; follow up on outstanding information.
- Act as a liaison to the Operations Group.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- Minimum 3-5 years commercial insurance experience with experience in Marine a plus.
- Experience in admitted and non-admitted business is extremely helpful.
- In-depth understanding of policy construction, regulatory requirements, rating, and policy issuance.
- Strong knowledge of commercial rating rules and forms for products serviced.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proven attention to detail.
- Must be proactive and able to work within a team environment.
- Self-starter: the ability to support and build workflow and process.
- Strong communication skills; both verbal and written.
- Strong competency in MS Office applications.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates.
- A dynamic, action-oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates, and our other stakeholders.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Members may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.