Atlanta, GA/ Chicago, IL/ New York, NY
Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty, and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty, and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Learn more about our unique culture and history.
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced underwriter within the Architects & Engineers Professional Liability group. Preferred locations for this role are Chicago, New York, and Atlanta. However, this role can be located in any of our BHSI US Offices.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and grow the Architects & Engineers Professional book of business which includes primary and excess, practice and project-specific professional liability policies.
- Establish, develop, and expand broker and customer relationships.
- Work closely with underwriting, actuary, claims, and legal teams to evaluate risk and provide solutions to customers.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task, and make quick decisions while maintaining underwriting integrity.
- Maintain a profitable renewal book.
- Travel up to 20% of the time.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- 5+ years of design and/or construction professional underwriting experience.
- Strong underwriting acumen.
- Existing regional retail and/or wholesaler broker relationships and/or proven ability to develop the same.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
- Strong communication skills including advanced negotiation, communications, and presentation experience.
- BS/BA Degree or equivalent experience.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates.
- A dynamic, action-oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates, and our other stakeholders.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
The base salary range for this position in New York is from $110,000 to $150,000, along with annual bonus eligibility; a candidate’s salary is determined by their relevant skills and experience. We value our teammates – both their capabilities and character – as demonstrated by our amazing culture.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Members may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.