Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Surety Underwriter in our Sydney office. This is a customer-focused position ideally suited for a professional of the highest ethical standards that is dedicated to excellence and has a passion for the Surety business.
The ideal candidate values working in a highly collaborative environment, simplicity over complexity, and thinking outside of the box in providing practical solutions for brokers and customers. This position affords the opportunity to make significant and lasting contributions across all facets of our growing Surety business within Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Fill vital role as the lead underwriter on an existing, high-quality quality portfolio of surety clients, predominantly in Construction
- Analyse and monitor credit quality, and utilize expertise to make sound decisions pertaining to terms, conditions, and pricing on an ongoing basis
- Develop and advance customer and broker relationships in pursuit of new business opportunities
- Bond wording review, drafting and issuance for a wide range of risks particularly within the large publicly-traded and privately-held contracting markets
- Indemnity negotiation with customers in partnership with legal counsel in order to mitigate overall credit-risk
- Management of financially-challenged counterparties in conjunction with Head of Surety
- Actively contribute to daily operations, development of systems, and underwriting practices across the overall surety organization
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- 5-10 years underwriting and/or analysis experience within surety, a bank or a comparative credit or financial-oriented industry
- Financial analysis and credit assessment skills
- Strong negotiation and relationship management skills
- Ability to travel, particularly Stated-based within Australia
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience managing and collaborating with customers and brokers
- BS/BA Degree or equivalent experience
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Please send resumes to [email protected].
Visit our website at www.bhspecialty.com.