Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty, and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Learn more about our unique culture and history.
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for a senior level Contract Surety Underwriter in the Southeast Region. The preferred location is in our Atlanta office; however, we are open to individuals located anywhere within our Southeast region.
This is a customer-focused position ideally suited for a professional of the highest ethical standards that are dedicated to excellence and has a passion for the surety business. The ideal candidate values working in a highly collaborative environment, simplicity over complexity, and thinking outside of the box in providing practical solutions for brokers and customers. This position affords the opportunity to make significant and lasting contributions across all facets of our growing surety organization. Specific responsibilities include:
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Fill a vital role as the lead underwriter on an existing, high-quality quality portfolio of contract surety clients
- Analyze credit quality, and utilize expertise to make sound decisions pertaining to terms, conditions, and pricing
- Develop and advance broker and agent relationships in pursuit of new business opportunities
- Contract, RFP, & bond form review for a wide range of risks including middle market, subcontract, and national contractors
- Actively contribute to daily operations, development of systems, and underwriting practices across the overall surety organization
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years of underwriting experience within contract surety or a comparative credit or financial-oriented industry
- Financial analysis and credit assessment skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Ability to travel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience managing and collaborating with retail brokers and agents
- BS/BA Degree or equivalent experience
- A Competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates
- A dynamic, action-oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates, and our other stakeholders
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Members may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.