Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organisation where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognised. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced and talented Actuary to join our Actuarial Reporting team.
The role requires the candidate to analyse a diverse range of business lines and geographies in order to assess the reserve requirements according to different valuation principles and in supporting the business in profitability analysis.
The Actuarial Reporting team provides actuarial services to Berkshire Hathaway International Insurance Limited (BHIIL) and Berkshire Hathaway European Insurance DAC (BHEI) –representing Berkshire Hathaway’s European insurance operations.
The role will provide significant exposure to Executive Management and will be reporting directly to the Chief Actuary of BHIIL.
The Actuarial team is a small and highly efficient team with opportunities to access a wide range of business functions and business lines.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Analysis of the technical reserves on multiple valuation bases culminating in a quarterly cycle of reporting.
- Develop, maintain, and update actuarial models and processes for reserve calculations.
- Review and challenge of reserving analyses undertaken by other areas of the business.
- Communicate key movements, trends and events to the business on a quarterly basis, with opportunity to present to Senior Management at Actuarial Committees.
- Provide key input into the annual Actuarial Reserve Review report, detailing the assumptions chosen and methodologies employed, and the reasoning behind material judgements.
- Collaborate with Underwriting, Pricing and Claims functions to enhance reserve analyses and to provide valuable feedback to each function.
- Support the production of the Business Plan.
- Assist the production of and enhancement to Management Information.
- Assist with validation and audit functions, internally (Risk and Internal Audit) and externally (Audit and regulators).
- Undertake regular training and development of colleagues in respect of Actuarial matters.
- Support the documentation of Actuarial processes and analyses.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Qualified actuary.
- At least five years’ experience in a non-life insurance actuarial role.
- Good knowledge of reserving techniques and familiarity with actuarial pricing.
- Strong coding skills –SAS language proficiency a plus.
- Strongly driven to streamline business processes, with an emphasis on automation and maintainability.
- Excellent written skills with the ability to compose reports relevant for Senior Management and external parties.
- Good working knowledge of up to date actuarial practices and the associated regulations (including Solvency II).
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment as well as independently.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects at the same time.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
To apply, please submit your CV with a cover letter outlining why this would be the perfect role for you to [email protected]
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
Visit our website at www.bhspecialty.com