Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty, and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. As a part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
Berxi is the Small Commercial team within BHSI. We’re all about driving digital innovation in the Small Commercial Insurance space and are focused on leveraging technology to make insurance simple and affordable for professionals and small businesses. If you constantly strive for excellence and want to work with a collaborative, fast-paced, and energetic team – then Berxi is for you.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty, and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer with excellent problem-solving skills, strong attention to detail, and the technical know-how to independently build solutions from start to finish. We are looking for an expert on ETL development/data modeling, who is comfortable working with TSQL and datasets of varying latencies and sizes, sourcing data from various disparate data providers and platforms.
As a Senior Data Engineer at Berxi, you will be on an autonomous data engineering team working closely with application engineering and senior leaders around the organization to identify needs and then design, develop, and implement the necessary data storage, automation, and integration solutions to support enterprise decisions.
This role is part of a team responsible for the technical integrity of our processes, financial and operations analytics, as well as ad hoc delivery of data artifacts, all centered around our enterprise data warehouse. You will leverage a hybrid of cloud technologies to process data at scale and build CICD pipelines, microservices, and PowerBI capabilities to deliver performant data solutions. The successful candidate will have demonstrated skills in ETL programming and a broad understanding of data integration, storage, visualization tools, and data modeling. Advanced development will include producing dimensional models, and data marts in support of producing timely insights. Overall, we are focused on enabling self-service data analysis for ease of reporting and analytics visualization while consistently focusing on data accessibility, efficiency, governance, performance, and integrity.
As part of our team of agile data engineers, you and your teammates will participate in Scrum ceremonies to deliver incremental MVP business value while continuously achieving value-based services for internal and external stakeholders and partners. Most of all, you will be part of an outstanding team that’s at the core of engineering the platform that is Berxi.com.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provisioning workflows, data pipelines, extracts, ETL, and integrations using REST APIs, JSON, XLS, and other sources to integrate with internal data stores and systems.
- Working on data model designs and ERD documentation to support new data sets and systems implemented around the organization.
- In-depth analysis of existing data load, analytics, and visualization code to ensure accuracy of data flow and resolution of anomalies.
- Identifying operational data gaps and recommending data solutions to address those gaps in a secure, performant, and reliable manner.
- Working from requests stored in a managed backlog, research and enhance specifications to develop or significantly modify data sourcing, storage, and provisioning needs. Develop and/or modify effective, defect-free source code that meets business requirements and team standards, as verified through peer code reviews.
- Working through Agile sprints, participating in, and often leading, paired programming and code reviews.
- Attending quarterly team planning sessions consisting of top-down strategic breakdown and bottom-up engineering team estimation of epics, stories, tasks, and spikes.
- Recurring meetings with the manager covering feedback and support of personal growth
- Participating in new teammate onboarding and mentoring junior teammates through paired programming and knowledge sharing.
- Leveraging concepts in test-driven development and unit test case development to execute on all levels of testing (System, Integration, and Regression).
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- Generally, 7+ years of demonstrated professional software or data engineering experience with specialization in data modeling and business intelligence.
- Must have intimate knowledge of and working experience with Microsoft Azure.
- Intimate knowledge of the SQL Server stack (2016+), ETL, and Transact SQL (TSQL).
- Proficient in data engineering concepts, languages, and tools; ability to develop on multiple platforms.
- Proficient in data transformation, ETL methodology.
- Proficient in TSQL procedural coding, analysis, DML, and DDL scripting.
- Proficient with contemporary data files formats such as JSON and unstructured data.
- Experience with relational database modeling, star schemas, and Data Warehousing.
- Demonstrated understanding of RESTful API development as it pertains to data integration efforts.
- Experience with NoSQL/Non-relational databases is a plus, such as a blob and Azure file tables.
- Working knowledge of Python and modeling datasets for dashboards for BI visualization tools such as Power BI / SSRS / Tableau is a plus.
- Working knowledge of Agile data engineering concepts and processes, such as CICD, pipelines, backlog tracking, burndown metrics, and incremental delivery.
- Strong collaboration, prioritization, and adaptability skills required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be proactive and self-driven, demonstrate initiative and be a logical thinker.
- Be a positive influence on a team of skilled data engineers .
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates.
- A dynamic, action-oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates, and our other stakeholders.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Members may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.