Chicago, IL/ New York, NY/ Stevens Point, WI
Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for a counsel in its Chicago, New York, or Stevens Point office to assist the BHSI Legal Department in supporting the compliance function in North America. The individual selected for this position will work closely with the legal, compliance, underwriting, claims, state affairs, operations, and other functional teams to assist in the development, maintenance and enhancement of policies, practices and resources related to compliance with all aspects of state, federal and international laws and regulations. This attorney will work closely with various teams in support of BHSI’s consumer complaints and regulatory inquiry processes.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Review, monitor, track and report on legal and regulatory requirements concerning our products, services and businesses, and staying abreast of industry trends relating to same.
- Provide legal advice regarding state and provincial insurance regulatory laws and inquiries.
- Assist various product teams, as needed, to proactively address potential regulatory issues and to provide advice regarding compliance.
- Review and prepare responses to inquiries from regulatory agencies such as state departments of insurance, state attorneys general and consumer protections agencies.
- Draft responses to consumer complaints and assist in all aspects of the consumer complaint process. Work with internal and external partners to ensure compliance.
- Assist in the internal oversight of compliance policies and reporting obligations.
- Support the general compliance activities and other responsibilities, including special projects and ad hoc reporting, as assigned.
- Support the company’s compliance and documentation practices.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to ensure compliance and to detect and resolve compliance issues and/or breaches.
- Assist regional Head of Compliance in ensuring that all regulatory processes are scalable and remain compliant.
- Liaise with third parties on compliance data, tools, and corrective actions, as needed.
- Support various internal teams to proactively address potential regulatory issues and to provide advice regarding compliance.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- 6+ years of relevant legal experience at a law firm (in-house counsel with a major commercial insurance company preferred).
- Admission to practice in applicable jurisdiction.
- JD Degree from an ABA approved law school.
- Advanced knowledge of general insurance principles and practices.
- Familiarity with state regulations related to the admitted market.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, and attention to detail.
- Time management, prioritization and project management skills required.
- Self-driven, self-disciplined, and able to work independently.
- Team oriented and able to work collaboratively.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Superior academic credentials.
• A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates.
• A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammate and our other stakeholders.
• A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
The base salary range for this position in New York is from $130,000 – 170,000 along with annual bonus eligibility; a candidate’s salary is determined by their relevant skills and experience. We value our teammates – both their capabilities and character – as demonstrated by our amazing culture.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.