New York, NY
Are you looking for a place that truly values and accepts differences of perspectives and understands that winning together builds a stronger organization?
Are you looking for an organization that is a powerful platform driven by exceptional people and one where you can be recognized and rewarded for individual excellence in a team framework?
Are you looking for the opportunity to start building meaningful, professional relationships with people who, like you, have a high level of capabilities and strong character, and who care about each other, their customers, and their communities?
Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty, and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
If so, then our 2024 Intern program is for you!
Are you interested in learning about the insurance industry and what it means to be a successful Underwriter? We have an exciting entry-level opportunity to join our New York City office as an Intern. During your 12-week paid internship, you will learn about underwriting commercial general property risks under the guidance of experienced underwriters. This opportunity will allow you to gain an understanding of the commercial property and insurance industry as you experience first-hand the teamwork that it takes to deliver flexible, responsive solutions to our customers. The commercial general property product provides coverage for a customer’s assets and business income stream after direct physical loss or damage of the type insured.
Education, Skills, and Experience:
- Ability to work as part of a team, as well as independently when needed.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills preferably from past job or volunteer experience.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and manage time effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with MS Office Applications.
- All candidates must have permanent work authorization in the United States.
Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty, and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized.
BHSI Offers Interns:
- The opportunity to build a broad knowledge of the Insurance industry through instructor-led training classes.
- The opportunity to collaborate with BHSI interns from across the country on a project.
- One-on-one mentorship, career development, and learning opportunities as you engage with senior management.
- A liberating, fast-paced culture, centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates, and our business.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity, encourages innovation and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
The base salary range for this position in New York is from $22/hour – $25/hour; a candidate’s salary is determined by their relevant skills and experience. We value our teammates – both their capabilities and character – as demonstrated by our amazing culture.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Members may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.