Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for a Casualty Program Manager within their Commercial Programs team in the Boston office location. We are seeking a teammate who is hard working, intelligent, passionate, and who is always striving towards excellence.
Candidates should have a strong Casualty underwriting background. Though a plus, Candidates are not required to have program management experience. Candidates must have the ability to work both independently and to collaborate broadly with all management levels and underwriting disciplines. The candidate must also have the desire to learn key aspects of insurance company operations that support the program business, working with numerous departments including Actuarial, Legal, Claims, IT and Operations.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for management of assigned programs.
- Be versed in the use of admitted and non-admitted products underwritten by this organization.
- Apply underwriting expertise in commercial lines of business with an emphasis on Casualty lines of business, inclusive of General Liability, Commercial Automobile and Umbrella.
- Interact with numerous staff departments including actuarial, claims, legal, operations and IT, who participate in the oversight of the program business.
- Develop underwriting guidelines for assigned programs.
- Establish and develop Program Administrator relationships.
- Establish and monitor performance metrics for assigned programs.
- Help build infrastructure-
- Collaborate with Operations and Legal Departments to develop operational and compliance standards.
- Collaborate with Actuarial to develop pricing and monitor profitability.
- Collaborate with Legal on contracts and policy forms and endorsements.
- Collaborate with Claims on TPA agreements and relationships.
- Work directly with Program Administrators and TPAs on assigned programs.
- Coordinate all communication between carrier departments and program administrator.
- Perform underwriting audits on PA book of business – develop and recommend guidelines to monitor underwriting results.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Strong underwriting background in Commercial Casualty including General Liability, Commercial Automobile Liability and Excess/Umbrella.
- Ability to work both independently and to collaborate broadly with all management levels and underwriting disciplines.
- 5+ years Commercial Casualty underwriting experience.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal.
- Desire to learn key aspects of insurance company operations that support the program business, working with numerous departments including Actuarial, Legal, Claims, IT and Operations.
- Ability to work within a Team Environment.
- Travel (1 time per month) required.
- BS/BA Degree or equivalent experience.
- CPCU desired.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates.
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP