Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for an IT professional who possesses extensive technical and delivery skill to join our Boston Based Enterprise Applications Team as a Lead Developer. This role will drive the implementation of our technical architecture and be integral to the solutioning and design for critical automation efforts. Solutions will involve the integration of vendor packages and custom solutions and the candidate must possess a passion for delivering value through technology.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead/Manage small to large complex projects and enhancements including hands-on software development adhering to the defined SLAs.
- Provide hands on support for applications as needed.
- Actively participate in solution design and programming for Enterprise applications.
- Ensure alignment of technical architecture of the application with the enterprise technology roadmap. Establish and ensure the implementation of agreed architecture and infrastructure.
- Evaluate and select appropriate software, tools, and integration methods.
- Oversee development activity (e.g., conduct code reviews, process adherence) and provide guidance to team members, both internal and external.
- Present technical solution to our Enterprise Architecture Review Board.
- Help create documentation to provide user support for programs and for production/operating procedures.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Proven experience as a Lead application developer with deep experience in building applications and leveraging third party solutions wherever applicable.
- Hands-on expertise with software development and system administration.
- Proven expertise in cloud-first and service-oriented architecture (SOA).
- Expert level knowledge of coding languages in the Microsoft suite.
- Diverse technical background with desire and ability to be hands on throughout the project lifecycle.
- Excellent observation and analytical skills, with a keen attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, comfortable liaising with remote users and vendors.
- Adept and eager to becoming knowledgeable in the business use of the systems platform implemented.
- Understanding of the Property & Casualty Insurance industry is desirable.
- Independently motivated with a “team player” mentality with an ability to offer flexibility while maintaining focus on solution delivery.
- Experience supervising teams of local and off-shore IT development resources.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates.
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.