Atlanta, GA/Boston, MA
Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty, and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for an actuarial professional to join and help build our Excess & Surplus Lines Small Business platform. This new position will be based in Boston/Atlanta and ideal for an experienced actuarial professional with experience in Small Business, preferably in a surplus lines environment. This position will report directly into the global actuarial team and exclusively support BHSI’s Excess & Surplus Lines Small Business. We seek an individual with deep knowledge of Small Business rating plans and rating platforms and who is intellectually curious, self-motivated and a collaborative team member.
Job title and compensation will be commensurate with the experience and exam level of the individual. Both credentialed and non-credentialed actuaries with relevant experience may apply.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support the development and build-out of the Excess & Surplus Small Business rating plans and technology platform.
- Partner with Small Business Underwriting Leader to construct tools used for the assessment of new opportunities and the monitoring of the portfolio.
- Collaborate across the team to adhere to actuarial best practices and protocols.
- Analyze claims and exposure data to enhance proprietary pricing factors and models.
- Research new pricing techniques and enhance existing methodologies.
- Collaborate with other departments (IT, Claims, Underwriting) in the development of actuarial systems and data as the company continues to grow and evolve.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- 4+ years of experience in a Small Business actuarial role, preferably excess & surplus.
- Successful completion and continued pursuit of casualty actuarial examinations, where applicable.
- Proficiency in SQL strongly preferred.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment as well as independently.
- Strong desire to learn from and share knowledge with teammates.
- Effective time management, with the ability to juggle multiple projects at the same time.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates.
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates, and our other stakeholders.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP