Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance Company has an exciting opportunity for a Construction Casualty Underwriter with our East Coast team based in Atlanta.
We are seeking an individual who is hard working, intelligent, passionate and who is always striving towards excellence. Candidate must have the ability to work both independently and to collaborate with all levels and disciplines.
This position is a great fit for an underwriter with 5 to 10 years of experience, writing either primary or excess construction. Day to day responsibilities include expanding and developing new business opportunities through production and marketing calls with brokers and clients, prequalifying new business and utilizing underwriting acumen to identify and select sound casualty risks.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and grow the Construction Casualty book of business which includes primary, lead umbrella, and excess on both practice and project business.
- Establish, develop, and expand broker and customer relationships in the Southeast Region.
- Work closely with loss control, claims, and legal teams to evaluate risk and provide solutions to customers.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task, and make quick decisions while maintaining underwriting integrity.
- Maintain a profitable renewal book.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 5 years Casualty underwriting experience (prior construction underwriting experience a plus).
- Strong underwriting acumen.
- Existing broker & customer relationships.
- Ability to work within a fast paced, customer focused & team environment.
- Strong communication skills including advanced negotiation and presentation experience.
- BS/BA Degree or equivalent experience.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates.
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.