Los Angeles, CA/New York, NY/San Francisco, CA
Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has exciting opportunities for Environmental Underwriters to join our teams in San Francisco or Los Angeles and New York City. We will also consider other BHSI office locations for well qualified candidates.
The Underwriter position is responsible for managing an existing renewal book of business as well as developing and expanding new business opportunities through production & marketing calls with brokers and clients, prequalifying new business opportunities and utilizing underwriting acumen to select sound Environmental risks.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Maintain and develop the Environmental book of business which mainly consists of Contractors Pollution Liability (CPL) and Pollution Legal Liability (PLL) business.
- Establish, develop, and expand broker and customer relationships across respective territories.
- Work closely with loss control, actuary, claims and legal teams to evaluate risk and provide solutions to customers.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task, and make quick decisions while maintaining underwriting integrity.
- Travel as required to achieve business goals.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- 2 – 7 years Environmental underwriting or similar experience.
- Existing regional broker relationships and/or proven ability to develop same.
- Strong underwriting acumen and attention to detail.
- Ability to work within a team environment.
- Strong communication skills including proven negotiation and presentation experience.
- BS/BA Degree or equivalent experience.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates.
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
The base salary range for this position is from $80,000.00 to $135,000.00, along with annual bonus eligibility; a candidate’s salary is determined by their relevant skills and experience. We value our teammates – both their capabilities and character – as demonstrated by our amazing culture.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP