Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty, and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. As a part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
Berxi is the Small Commercial team within BHSI. We’re all about driving digital innovation in the Small Commercial Insurance space and are focused on leveraging technology to make insurance simple and affordable for professionals and small businesses. If you constantly strive for excellence and want to work with a collaborative, fast-paced, and energetic team – then Berxi is for you.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty, and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berxi has an exciting opportunity for a Data Architect to join its Data Engineering team in Boston, MA. BHSI has a hybrid work structure with four days in the office and one day at home. The Berxi Data Engineering team consists of talented Data engineers who design, architect, and build Data Platforms that enable our business functions to make data-driven decisions. The Data Architect will report to the Manager of Data & Analytics who oversees the Berxi data team and will collaborate with cross-functional leadership such as Product Management, Product Development, Marketing, Partnership, and Customer Experience teams. The Data Architect will collaborate with teammates across Berxi to deliver high-quality data solutions on schedule by reviewing and understanding the value stream of the Berxi insurance business and insurance product delivery life cycle. As a Data Architect, you will be responsible for designing, developing, maintaining, monitoring, and extending the data warehouses, data marts, data platforms, and analytics architecture to meet the business objectives that enable stakeholders to make timely and informed decisions using reliable and accurate data. The design and development focus includes but is not limited to, dimensional data model design, data Integration, metadata management, master data management, data security, data quality, data auditing and profiling, and business intelligence reporting solutions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Design, develop and optimize enterprise-level reporting, OLAP, and other business intelligence solutions, and cross-train others in the use of the tools.
- Architect and design data platform solutions with design artifacts that are sustainable and high quality to meet functional and non-functional requirements.
- Collaborate with multiple business teams to review and prioritize deliverables.
- Translate and communicate technical requirements into well-designed solutions that meet the business and technical goals defined by business stakeholders.
- Debug and troubleshoot data quality problems using SQL tools.
- Hands-on in producing, consuming, and processing structured, semi-structured, and unstructured data formats from a variety of data sources and link services (FTP, API, streaming).
- Train, coach, and mentor globally distributed data engineer talent.
- Enforce adherence to architectural standards/principles, global product-specific guidelines, usability design standards, etc.
- Identify, communicate, and mitigate risks, assumptions, issues, and decisions throughout the full lifecycle.
- Analyze the latest industry trends such as cloud computing and distributed processing and begin to infer the risks and benefits of their use in business.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent experience.
- Strong hands-on experience in Azure cloud services such as Azure Data Factory, Databricks, Data Lake, Azure AD, Azure Monitor, Azure SQL, Azure Purview, Azure Analysis Services, Azure DevOps, Synapse, Predictive Analytics & Machine Learning.
- Prior Hands-on experience in end-to-end CI/CD implementation or DevOps process in Data & Analytics context.
- Experience with SSRS, Power BI tools, or other visualization tools such as Tableau, and Looker.
- Extensive experience in data warehouse reporting and ETL/ELT tools.
- Experience in handling technology projects/programs in Insurance Domain or other financial services preferred.
- Experience in coding programming languages such as SQL, Python, Go, PowerShell, Bash, etc.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and conceptual skills with the ability to work across business areas, in a collaborative, open, and flexible mindset.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with an ability to express business concepts in technical terms, and complex technical solutions in simple business terms.
- Passionate and professional demeanor that supports a collaborative and team-oriented environment.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates.
- A dynamic, action-oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates, and our other stakeholders.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Members may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.