Atlanta, GA/Boston, MA/Chicago, IL/Dallas, TX/New York, NY/Plymouth Meeting, PA/San Francisco, CA/San Ramon, CA
Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty, and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Ocean Marine Underwriting professional within our Marine team in our New York or our other US based locations.
The Ocean Marine Leader will play a critical role in building the book of business and underwriting team and will report to the Head of our US Marine Division. The Ocean Marine Leader will develop strategies, and services in support of Primary/Excess Ocean Cargo, Stock Throughput, Marine Liabilities coverage for mid-size and large corporate customers.
You will be responsible for developing new business to achieve our teams’ shared objectives. Your deep experience will allow you operate with reasonable autonomy yet know when to seek guidance or approval. You have the willingness to speak up and promote positive change, be results-oriented and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
Essential Job Functions:
- Effectively develop, and lead an underwriting group
- Develop a profitable book of business
- Achieve premium and productions targets
- New business premium goals, quote, and workflow management targets
- Proactively market & develop customer relationships
- Manage multiple projects
- Achieve results by taking a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives
- Willingness to travel
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- Experience in the Ocean Marine and Marine Liability space
- Minimum of five years of underwriting experience with a proven track record of results
- Experience with catastrophic risk exposures and hazards
- Independent and Self-motivated
- Detail-oriented and Outcome focused
- Creative solution-driven problem solver
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Effective communication skills; both verbal and written
- College diploma, University degree or equivalent experience
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage/prioritize effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Must be proactive self-starter and able to work within a team environment
- Team builder
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities with a growing global organization
- A liberating, fast-paced culture, centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates, and our business
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity, encourages innovation, and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
The base salary range for this position is $150K to $210K along with annual bonus eligibility; a candidate’s salary is determined by their relevant skills and experience. We value our teammates – both their capabilities and character – as demonstrated by our amazing culture.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP