New York, NY
Are you looking for a place that truly values and accepts differences of perspectives and understands that winning together builds a stronger organization?
Are you looking for an organization that is a powerful platform driven by exceptional people and one where you can be recognized and rewarded for individual excellence in a team framework?
Are you looking for the opportunity to start building meaningful, professional relationships with people who, like you, have a high level of capabilities and strong character, and who care about each other, their customers, and their communities?
Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty, and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
If so, then our Associate Cohort program is for you!
Are you interested in learning about the insurance industry and what it means to be a successful Underwriter? Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance has an exciting opportunity for an entry-level candidate to join our Property team as an Associate Underwriter (Underwriter Trainee) for 18 months of training in our New York office. The Associate Underwriter will get exposure to the world of Property Insurance and receive real-time on-the-job training while based in New York, with the expectation that they will transfer to Chicago or Los Angeles upon completion of training.
Since we are looking for teammates who would be moving into a full-time Underwriting role in 2025/2026, there may be some fluctuation in business needs across the US retail platform.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support underwriters with all activities related to account development.
- Assist underwriters in data analysis and account assessment.
- Correspond with brokers; follow up on outstanding information.
- Collaborate closely with risk control, claims, operations, and legal teams to evaluate risk and provide solutions to customers.
- Work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task, and make quick decisions while maintaining underwriting integrity.
- Actively participate in on-the-job training as well as pursue insurance courses/certifications as required and participate in periodic group classroom training.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proven attention to detail.
- Must be proactive and able to work within a team environment.
- Ability to support and enhance workflow and process.
- Strong communication skills; both verbal and written.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience.
- Strong competency in MS Office applications.
- Some travel may be required.
Who are we?
- A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty, and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
- We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty, and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
- Learn more about our unique culture and history.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities with a growing global organization.
- A liberating, fast-paced culture, centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates, and our business.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity, encourages innovation and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
The base salary for this position in New York is $70,000, along with annual bonus eligibility; a candidate’s salary is determined by their relevant skills and experience. We value our teammates – both their capabilities and character – as demonstrated by our amazing culture.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Members may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP