New York, NY
Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for either an Associate Actuary or Senior Actuarial Analyst to join our Global Actuarial Team in our New York City office. We are looking for an individual who has both an ability to excel and an excellence of character. Our culture is innovative and fast-paced, and this position will be the perfect fit for an individual who is intellectually curious, self-motivated and a collaborative team member.
The teammate in this role will be responsible for providing pricing support for both Commercial Property and Commercial Property Programs business. This role requires direct day-to-day interaction with teammates in the actuarial, underwriting, operations, IT and claims teams. The individual will have the opportunity to enhance pricing tools, perform profitability analyses and help manage the portfolio.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with Actuarial Data, Modelling, & Underwriting teams to develop and refine current Property & Energy Raters
- Work closely with underwriting managers on pricing large individual property risks
- Investigate pricing outliers and work with underwriters and actuaries to resolve the underlying issues
- Develop, refine, and diagnose various portfolio management reports
- Work with CAT Engineering & Analytics team to understand catastrophe modelling and incorporate modelling results into property pricing
- Help actuaries and program managers to assess new program opportunities and review any existing programs
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Actively pursuing FCAS title with completion of at least five actuarial exams
- 4+ years of experience in an actuarial role, preferably with experience in property lines (commercial property/energy/builders’ risk) but not required
- Proficiency in Excel/VBA and SQL required; proficiency in R Studio (or Python) strongly preferred
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment as well as independently
- Strong desire to learn from and share knowledge with teammates
- Effective time management, with the ability to juggle multiple projects at the same time
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework
The base salary range for this position is from $90,000.00 to $160,000.00, along with annual bonus eligibility; a candidate’s salary is determined by their relevant skills and experience. We value our teammates – both their capabilities and character – as demonstrated by our amazing culture.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Clicking apply will direct you to our recruiting module within ADP.