Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Director, Global Underwriting Affairs. This role will be a part of BHSI’s Global Underwriting Affairs team and will be focused on facilitating the implementation of change across our technology platforms for Policy Administration and Underwriting. The role will work closely with the other members of the team, underwriters, and underwriting leadership globally to help understand, facilitate, and balance both a global and local view of how we automate the products we write. Our corporate vision is to leverage common underwriting technology platforms globally and this requires us to balance needs that are specific to lines of business, products, and geographies with an enterprise view.
The Assistant Director, Global Underwriting Affairs will partner with our Underwriting and IT Leadership teams to help facilitate the smooth development and implementation of underwriting technology. The candidate must have proven skills to facilitate discussions around how to approach automation in a consistent way. The role will lead global discussions around priorities for systems and change management. Partnering with our Global Operations Leadership team will also be integral to help foster common business processes across geographic regions and product lines.
This role requires a strong understanding of Specialty Commercial products, the underwriting processes and how technology can be leveraged to foster business growth and operational efficiencies with the European market. The candidate must have the ability to initiate and facilitate dialogues with multiple groups who have similar and competing interests. The candidate must have the ability to ask questions to gain a deeper understanding of local needs while relating this back to what is being done elsewhere.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Review with business any system and process issues and work closely with other members of the Global Underwriting Affairs team to identify the global vs the regional enhancements.
- Serve as the regional point-of-contact and subject matter expert for all underwriting process-related questions, including IT developer queries.
- Work closely with the business to assist with real-time problem solving of specific transactions and communicate any findings that have broader application to UTs within the line of business and to other teammates.
- Ability to broadly communicate product-specific and general system functionality changes to ensure user-readiness.
- Support training of Underwriters and Underwriting Technicians (UTs), including, but not limited to, system training, forms library and Underwriting dashboards.
- Provide subject matter expertise to similar-product UTs in other regions, as needed.
- Be knowledgeable of the BHSI’s underwriting systems.
- Work with Claims IT to ensure consistency within the UW and claims systems.
- Engage with the Operations team to implement and communicate appropriate process changes resulting from system changes.
- Identify process gaps and improvements within the region and work with the other members of the Global Underwriting Affairs team to resolve.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Broad and somewhat deep specialty lines insurance product knowledge and market practices, particularly within Europe.
- Experience in working across underwriting, IT and other functional groups to help influence business-based automation efforts.
- Comfort in working across product lines and geographies to understand the similarities and differences in the needs the products we sell and our approach to automation.
- Ability to initiate and facilitate dialogues with multiple groups who have similar and competing interests.
- A competitive package and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates
- A dynamic, action oriented, and thoughtful environment centered on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates, and our other stakeholders.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
To apply, please submit your CV with to [email protected]
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Visit our website at www.bhspecialty.com