Who are we?
A strategic and trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI), provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers and brokers around the world. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals, who exude excellent capabilities and strong character.
We are a values-based organization where respect, integrity, excellence, collaboration, and passion define who we are and how we do business. We value diversity of backgrounds, experience, and perspectives and strive to foster an inclusive environment that enables all our team members to bring their best selves to work. We are one team committed to building a culture where every teammate has the opportunity to contribute and be recognized. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) has an exciting opportunity for what we call an ‘Underwriting Technician’ (UT) to work within our E&P and Surety teams, based in our Sydney office. This role provides meaningful administrative and operational support to our Underwriters throughout the end-to-end underwriting process, from pre-quote, pre-bind, bind to post-bind transactions. This includes assisting with electronic file preparation on behalf of the Underwriters and liaising with brokers. Our UTs also perform various underwriting support activities associated with information gathering, rating for new business, policy renewals and midterm changes, etc.
This role is a great opportunity for someone who enjoys problem solving and a dynamic role, or someone who wants to explore their next administrative opportunity within the Insurance industry.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Supporting our Underwriters with all activities related to managing an Insured (customer) account.
- Manage files for each Insured account, ensuring all required information and documents are recorded accurately within our electronic system. These documents include Broker submission, Underwriter’s risk assessments, pricing information, customers’ claims history, etc.
- Correspond with Brokers, following up on any outstanding information or documents.
- Draft quotes and binding notices for our customers, ensuring they get reviewed with the Underwriters prior to being sent out.
- Once a Premium (price) is agreed, ensure that a Policy is issued to the customer.
- Assist the Underwriting team with correct allocation of Policy Premiums and Policy processing.
- Work with teammates in other offices and countries to ensure that all required tasks are completed within agreed time frames.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Analytical and inquisitive. Able to use initiative.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Customer focus. Able to develop and manage relationships with our customers, business partners and teammates to ensure the right outcome for our customers.
- Thorough and with good attention to detail.
- Strong competency in MS Office applications.
- A demonstrated interest in a career in insurance would be highly regarded.
- A competitive remuneration package, including study support, and exciting growth opportunities for career-oriented teammates.
- A dynamic, action-oriented, and thoughtful environment, centred on always doing the right thing for our customers, teammates and our other stakeholders.
- A purposely non-bureaucratic organization that embraces simplicity over complexity and emphasizes individual excellence in a team framework.
NOTE: Compensation will be commensurate with experience. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Team Member may perform other related duties as negotiated to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Please send resumes to [email protected]
Visit our website at www.bhspecialty.com